About Athens On Demand Transit
Athens On Demand Transit (AODT) provides accessible, affordable, and reliable door to door transportation. The program started in 2011 and continues to serve individuals with disabilities, elderly, and persons with temporary mobility challenges.
AODT has come about due to the successful collaboration of several county and state agencies.
- In November 2011, HAPCAP was awarded a five-year, $109,000 transportation grant from the Ohio Developmental Disabilities Council. The grant was to create a program offering transportation services to individuals with developmental disabilities, especially during evening hours and weekends.
- After receiving this grant, HAPCAP was awarded a $142,000 grant from the Osteopathic Heritage Foundation of Nelsonville, which was used to purchase a used van.
- The Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities provided their accessible vans for use during evenings and weekends.
- Using the Osteopathic Heritage Foundation of Nelsonville funds, HAPCAP was able to provide a 20 percent match to the Ohio Department of Transportation in order to purchase two additional handicap accessible vans.
- Funding from the Ohio Department of Transpiration through its 5310 Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities program.