Per Ohio Department of Health’s Director’s Order for Facial Coverings, masks are required when “waiting for, riding, driving, or operating public transportation”. All drivers and riders are required to wear a mask when on the bus or at the transit facility except for:
- Individuals under ten years of age
- Those with a medical condition or disability that contraindicates the wearing of a facial covering
- Individuals communicating or seeking to communicate with someone who is hearing impaired or another disability where the ability to see the mouth is essential for communication.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), reasonable modifications will be made to the face mask policy for individuals with a disability or medical condition preventing them from wearing a mask when possible. Reasonable modifications may include:
- Allowing a full-face shield instead of a face mask
- Scheduling a single passenger demand response trip instead of riding on a fixed-route bus.
Reasonable modifications requests are evaluated on a case by case basis and must be requested prior to your trip. To request a reasonable modification contact Athens Public Transit, 740-592-2727 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Requests will be evaluated within 2 working days.
Please keep in mind, reasonable modification is not required if an individual poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. A direct threat includes COVID symptoms.
Please do your part to help keep the Athens Public Transit drivers and riders safe during this unique and challenging time.
For more information about this notice, Athens Public Transit, or HAPCAP’s additional transit programs, please contact:
Director of Transportation
Hocking Athens Perry Community Action
3 Cardaras Drive
PO Box 220
Glouster, OH 45732