Summer Cooling Crisis Program
The extreme heat of mid-summer can often be unhealthy and dangerous for certain individuals. A special component of HEAP is the Summer Crisis Program (SCP).
The Summer Crisis Program is designed to help qualified households pay for summer cooling. SCP is a onetime payment to the electric company for eligible households in the summer.
If you are over the age of 60, or have a physician's statement that states you, or a household member, has a medical need for electric and are below 175% of the Federal Income Guidelines you may qualify for the Summer Cooling Crisis program.
The Program applies to electric utilities only and is available
typically starting July 1st and will operate until all funds are obligated, but no later than August 31st.
To qualify at least one household member must be over the age of 60, OR have a physician statement that client has a medical need for electric.
Households must also be at or below 175% of the Federal Income Guidelines.
Households do NOT need a disconnect notice, but must OWE a current balance to qualify.
SCP is only available July 1 to August 31 each year.
Households with a gross income at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty guidelines are eligible for the Summer Crisis Program. A household with a total income during the past three months that is equal to or less than the following maximums may be eligible:
How to Apply for SCP
Applications may ONLY be done at local Community Action Agencies with one adult member of the household present. In extreme cases of homebound, elderly, or disabled persons, a home visit may be necessary.
Appointments are scheduled through an integrated voice response (IVR) system. The IVR scheduling system will be available from 5am - 7pm Monday through Friday. We strongly recommend making an appointment due to a very limited amount of first-come, first-serve walk-in openings.
We accept walk-in appointments beginning at 8:00am, Monday through Friday, based on a first-come-first serve basis. We encourage you to call before making the trip to ensure walk-in appointments for that day are still available. Certain documentation is required for applying.
To make an appointment please call 1.866.487.1362.
ALL Applicants MUST bring:
- Proof of citizenship such as birth certificate or voters registration card for ALL household members
- Proof of gross income for the past three months for ALL household members
- A copy of the electric bill and gas bill
- A balance due is required on the electric bill
- Social Security cards for everyone in the household
- A document that clearly shows age- birth certificate, driver's license or state id
- If under 60 years of age, documentation from a physician stating that someone in the household has an illness that would benefit from continued electric service.
- Proof of Disability if you are disabled.
| APPLY AT OUR MAIN OFFICE OR ANY OF OUR BRANCHES
Athens County Service Center
Hocking County Service Center
|To schedule an appointment please call 1-866-487-1362|